Monday, September 2, 2013

Gone Country, second edition

Here is what I've discovered so far, I LOVE the open space of our great plains home. I can see the sky so clear, feel free and secluded on these 11.6 acres.

There are so many things needed to be done around the place and with my husband and I both working full time in the city, I'm pooped all the time now. This is a good kind of pooped. We'll be making a list of projects to prioritize, including growing herbs and medicinal plants.

We don't have cable or internet, and our cell phone signal is spotty so we spend more quality time outside. This is not permanent though. With football season starting my husband will get Direct TV for the Sunday Tickets package, we NEED internet so I can keep up with bills, prescriptions, and correspondence. There's just no getting away from technology these days in my opinion. Our property does allow for complete self sufficiency with only one exception and that is electricity.

We have lots of frogs, grasshoppers, and hornets. Our first weekend here I got stung by a hornet while swinging on the bench. I'd never been stung by anything growing up so this was my first time and I whined and cried like a baby running to my husband. My two year old daughter was with me, saw the whole thing and  luckily did not freak out like I did. She  shares the experience with everyone who goes to the bench now lol. As you can imagine I had my husband take care of all the hornets pronto. We have heard some coyotes not too far away but none have come close enough to us that we need to "take care of". This is the country after all. Our house pets (one dog and one cat) are much happier here and have improved attitudes.

With three ponds there is fishing too! I could go on and on about all the things to do but I'll leave you with this for now.....I'm happy we finally made it here!

It was a longish and VERY stressful process getting here which I most definitely plan to post about. Be sure to tune in for it because I think it could help others out there from going through the same awful mess.

1 comment: