Sunday, July 29, 2012

Hair Everywhere Weekend

How much body hair is normal for a woman? I don't think there is a straight answer since every one's DNA is different. Even cultures view this differently. Here in the US the common view is the less body hair the better. For me, I probably have more body hair than what would be considered normal. Maybe I should clarify....not just how much hair but also where the hair is on my body. Is that too much information?

With the popularity of Groupon I have been able to take advantage of some wonderful deals for Hair Laser Reduction. My pale, pasty skin and thick dark hair makes me the perfect candidate! For two years now I have gotten a Groupon for Christmas for Hair Laser Reduction and that has covered my side burns, chin, upper/lower legs including feet, upper/lower arms including hands. I have seen great results! This year I hope to get one more to cover my underarms and bikini areas then I will be done. Now I don't want you to think that I was a hairy beast (only more hairy than some) based on the areas I've gotten done so far, that was just part of the package and why not get it all.

There is always this thought in the back of my mind though about possible side effects that may crop up years later as with anything you get done. I've noticed that some of my freckles seam to get darker and more raised so I'm going to see a dermatologist to map all my freckles head to toe. Even without being exposed to the laser for hair reduction I'm highly likely to get skin cancer because of my family history already having had it. My appointment is early August so I'll add an update to this post with the results of that visit.

What about head hair? If you've been pregnant then you know your hair gets thicker during pregnancy and then after the baby arrives you lose some of it as your body's hormones return to normal, after your body is back to normal so is your hair. My daughter is 15 months old now and I did find that to be true but lately I have been loosing a ton of hair again. I'm talking about enough to build a birds nest (maybe two) from the drain and floor hair after a week. I'm not dramatic and will not get concerned unless some of the changes I make don't work. First, instead of taking my multi-vitamin I'm going to go back on the prenatal vitamin since I've heard it promotes healthy hair. Second, I'm changing my Pantene shampoo/conditioner all in one to Garnier Fructis' new Fall Fight Shampoo & Conditioner. That is suppose to help your hair from breaking but if I need something that deals with thinning hair then I'll try the Aveda brand Invati Exfoliating Shampoo & Invati Thickening Conditioner next. I'm positive I'm not going bald since I still have hair all over, only getting thinner.

Wish me luck!

Update: 8/29/2012

After my dermatologist visit I have been reassured that right now all of my freckles are fine but I do have to go back every six months due to my skin type and freckle/mole types being most common for turning into skin cancer.....lucky me. It's common for a laser to alter the appearance of freckles so that should not be a concern for you or me.

I've been taking my gummy vitamin (I don't like pills) and using the Garnier Fructis product for about three or four weeks now and so far I can definitely see less hair in the shower. I haven't been "cured" but it is a drastic enough change to make me feel better and keep doing those steps to prevent more hair on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment