Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Car Shopping

It's over! The relationship with my 2002 PT Cruiser that I've had for seven years is finally over. This past weekend I finally replaced my ten year aging vehicle with a stellar find thanks to a friend of the family that happens to be a car sales person. My husband and I made one trip on our own after work to find a replacement and it was a horrible experience. The dealership tried to pressure us into buying the first vehicle we looked at by playing the waiting game. The scenario went sort of like this: We ask a question, the sales person goes to discuss answer with boss for 10 minutes, and we are left sitting around waiting with our 14 month old daughter growing bored with this pressure tactic. It was late and these pow wows went back and forth. We finally just left with our daughter's bedtime approaching! We wanted the car since we thought it was the best we were going to get on our budget but not from that dealership.

Next day my mother-in-law helps me shop by taking me to one dealership she has used many times while her sales person friend gets back to us with a potential car. This dealership is small, family owned and nice with a much better selection. After taking information on one potential we leave to continue the hunt and the friend calls with what sounds like THE car. Now my budget was $15,000 max for an SUV with vents in the back. Forget the fact that I was dreaming of leather heated seats, dual air conditioning, and powered everything. I could find those things easily but all together plus the main feature that was eluding me was the vents in the back so my daughter wouldn't be swimming in her own sweat *ewe*. A van just isn't an option for me, I may be a mommy but I don't want to feel like one in a dorky van (no offense, I know they have features galore but they look dorky).

Anyways, the sales person friend......is located in Norman. So worth the drive! The vehicle was being detailed by the dealership as we drove to see it, we were the first to get a look at it. 44,000 miles on a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited edition. The same make and model my mother-in-law happens to own (only newer) so I know I like it because we went on a family road trip in it. It was magic, the heavens chorus did the all knowing "ahhhhhh". Yes a little dramatic but exciting for me, maybe not for you. Wave something shiny and new (new to me anyway) in front of me and I instantly like!! Everything signed, sealed, and delivered and I still love my car.

Lesson of the day......don't trust ALL dealership sales people! Find someone you know in the business to get your next vehicle is the obvious answer but if you don't know one then ask your friends and family if they know someone in the business that they trust and would recommend. We didn't have to bargain because it was already a great deal.

Tip: Part of the reason for the already good deal was because it was the end of the month and the dealership needed to get rid of some inventory to close out the month with a certain quota. Holidays are another good time to shop.



No comments:

Post a Comment