Monday, August 6, 2012

Country Dreaming

I often feel like the direction that mankind has taken is unnatural. Let me explain, money is what controls government and society, we work our whole lives at jobs that take time away from our families in order to get money. Most of us struggle to find a job that will make us happy and full fill our purpose in life. Jobs that usually benefit society in some way and that's not a bad thing, there are so many different ways of fulfilling that purpose. What about the simple responsibility that God gave us to take care of this land and the creatures in it? Our populations have grown so much that we've encroached on nature. So many times I go through the urge to leave everything behind and move to the country to learn how to live off the land, become self sufficient and all that comes with that. This coming from a born and raised city girl! Sure this can't be easy or anything like the romantic image I have but I really believe the rewards would more than make up for it. The feeling of living the way I feel God intended and having a daily reminder of him surrounding me. It would be great to share it with others as well. Every time this urge comes I have to squelch it due to the fear of change to the unknown and of course the how. I'm not saying this is the only way, just what I think is one of many great ways. I've learned the term is "Homesteading". Probably finding a location between the city and the middle of nowhere country would be a happy and more realistic goal for me. I also like the idea of growing my own food, canning to stock up. I guess I should learn how to cook : /, can't leave it all up to my husband who is a wonderful cook (thank goodness).

Part of this could be the fact that I've never really figured out just what I should be doing, I just know it feels unnatural to be away from my family working. I work in education and I certainly think that is most definitely a worthy field no matter the role (teacher or support staff). After all our children are our future and we need to educate them. It would be nice if some of that education was more hands on with practical topics if all else failed like electricity, technology, etc. Maybe have it as part of the core mandatory subjects. Just a thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment